“Leaders build for tomorrow with what they have today.”
(49) When they had made an end of dividing the land for inheritance by their coasts, the children of Israel gave an inheritance to Joshua the son of Nun among them:
(50) According to the word of the LORD they gave him the city which he asked, even Timnathserah in mount Ephraim: and he built the city, and dwelt therein.
Several thoughts on this:
- Good leaders go last. Joshua was the last to receive his portion, but he had led the charge throughout the conquering period.
- We can always get what we ask when it is God’s will. What Joshua received was both God’s will (“according to the will of the Lord”) and what he had asked for.
- We build with what we have. Joshua received a city and he built a city.
- What we do with today sets the stage for tomorrow. The city Joshua “built” is the city in which he lived (“dwelt”). We better our tomorrow by working today.
Photo by Karen Carkhuff, ginsengphotography.squarespace.com